Beyond the Basics: Dystonia Evaluation and Treatment
The Neuro Rehab Professional's guide to the most effective and up-to-date evaluation and treatment strategies for your patients diagnosed with any form of Dystonia.
- Video lectures,
- Patient education handouts
- Online resources for you and your patients
- Assessment PDFs, and
- Access to our online community of Neuro Rehab Pros for feedback and guidance
How do you feel when you see this on your new patient referral form:
"DX: Dystonia - Eval & Treat"
... Are you 100% confident you know how to assess them thoroughly?
... Do you have a
If yes, congratulations! You've achieved neuro rehab
If not - and like
most you still get a tad apprehensive about that upcoming Dystonia evaluation - you're in the right place.
We've created a complete guide to dystonia evaluation and treatment that goes beyond the basics and addresses:
- The essential sensory testing you need to be doing (with video demonstrations) with every patient with dystonia
- How to classify sensory disorders effectively and translate them into effective treatment techniques
- Which outcome measures best reveal deficits associated with dystonia
- How to perform and document the JPE and subjective visual vertical (SVV) testing
- The subjective portion of your examination (including patient handouts to set them up for success)
- Components of an effective movement analysis (so you don't waste your time on tests that don't matter)
- How to integrate Learning Based Sensorimotor Techniques (LBSMT) into your patient's treatment plan
- How to use a multitude of treatment techniques
- sensory tricks,
- postural re-
- mirror therapy,
- weighted vests,
- manual techniques,
- ...and more
With each module of the course, you'll have an interactive reflection sheet as well as two interactive patient cases to practice your new skills.
Your Dystonia Mini-Course Bonuses include:
- Dystonia Questionnaire & Objective Measures Toolkit (9 in total)
- Cervical Dystonia - Evaluation Cheat-Sheet (PDF)
- Cervical Dystonia - Treatment Cheat-Sheet (PDF)
- LBSMT Patient Information Sheet (PDF)
- Goal sheet to use with your dystonia patients (PDF)
- JPE Instructions and forms - Cheat-Sheets (PDF)
- SVV Instructions and forms - Cheat-Sheets (PDF)
- 2 Point Discrimination Norms - Cheat-Sheet (PDF)
- 10 meter walk in Dystonia - Cheat Sheet (PDF)
- PSFS Instructions and form - Cheat-Sheet (PDF) and video
- Comprehensive Dystonia Reference list (PDF)
- Online Resource list for you and your patients (PDF)
- Access to our private, members-only Facebook group for support, treatment ideas, and feedback.
Dystonia doesn't have to be intimidating. In fact, with the guided strategies and treatment techniques you'll find in this course, you'll be able to confidently walk into every dystonia evaluation and get the outcomes your patients want and deserve.
We hope you'll join us along your journey to neuro mastery!
Cheers to your #iloveneuro spirit,
Julie Hershberg, PT, DPT, NCS
Erin Caudill, PT, DPT, NCS
Sarah King, PT, DPT
Claire McLean, PT, DPT, NCS
Co-Founders of the NeuroCollaborative
Get started now!
re+active learning is a part of re+active physical therapy & wellness--a group of neuro PTs committed to excellence for our patients and making neuro care more accessible to the world.
About 7 years ago Julie started [re+active] physical therapy and one of her very first patients was Dr. Richard Schmidt--the father of motor control. It was just two years later, when Ali Elder and Julie were working with Dr. Schmidt that the idea for the Schmidt Movement Disorders Fellowship was born. Ali was the first fellow and paved the way for an amazing collaboration between [re+active] and UCLA Neurology for the first physical therapy Movement Disorders Fellowship. Ali and Julie also worked closely together to put together learning modules in order to train staff, neurologists and the fellows in our program. They quickly realized that many physical therapists wanted to dive deeper into the learning that was provided as part of the fellowship, but were not able to fly to LA every month to join our lively discussions. We are so excited to share it with you!
Now--to introduce you to our presenter for this course:
Hi I’m Erin! I'm excited to meet you! I serve people who have an open mind and are ready to live the life they were intended. I show them how to deal with complex conditions, while gaining freedom. I also give them the tools to get exactly what they want, which is to feel empowered. I am a board certified neurologic clinical specialist (NCS) with a doctorate in Physical Therapy (DPT). I hold certifications in LSVT Big and Parkinson Wellness Recovery (PWR!), and love working with clients living with Parkinson’s disease. I also specialize in and love working with clients living with traumatic brain injury, multiple sclerosis, dystonia and functional movement disorders, spinal cord injuries, peripheral neuropathies, wheelchair seating and positioning, chronic pain and complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS). When I’m not working with clients and creating programs at re+active, you can find me running many miles, doing yoga, relaxing at the beach, or geeking out on neuroplasticity with other like-minded NeuroNerds. If you’re dying to know more, here are 3 things you don’t know about me. 1) I love learning and take in as many audiobooks, podcasts, and courses as I can handle. 2) I eat a plant-based diet (and yes I get plenty of protein:). 3) I am passionate about all things that help us gain a better understanding of ourselves and achieving our highest potential.
StartBrain Sheets--Download before you start the videos!
StartCourse Powerpoint Slides
StartAssessment and Treatment Cheat Sheets
StartQuestionnaires and Tools
StartClient Education Handouts
StartJPE, SVV, 10m walk, 2 point discrimination instructions, and forms
StartAbout the presenters
StartPrivate Facebook Group